3/25/2009

A thought.....


I was reading an article yesterday on the Columbine school tragedy. Can you believe it will be the 10 year anniversary of that horrific day? I remember just being sick listening to the news coverage of that horrible event. I have often thought of how totally desperate those 2 boys must have felt to commit such an awful crime. Why is there no tolerance in this world? I pray for all of us to just get a long. Anyway, in this article they interviewed one of the mothers who lost her sweet 17 yr old daughter. Through my tears I read this mother's comments and was in awe of how she was able to deal with the death of her daughter. What strength. I didn't have that much strength and courage to get through my daughter's death. I have been thinking a lot about the last sentence of the article, a qoute from this mother: "the hole in your heart will never get smaller. Never. So there is only one way to make it feel smaller. Grow your heart bigger every day." What a simple way to lessen pain, grow your heart bigger---service. Isn't that what Christ taught us, Serve one another. So, I have been thinking of ways I can grow my heart bigger. Laugh with my family. Love my family. Move to Hawaii to support my hubby (it is a sacrifice--I promise). Cook. Clean. Take a meal to someone. Visit teach. Read with your kiddos. Make a card for a friend. Smile. Enjoy life. Hope. Endure. Have faith. Do the best you can in whatever circumstance you are in. Remember the sun will rise tomorrow. Try to lighten someone's burdens. ETC. ETC. There are so many ways to grow your heart bigger. I absoulutely love this mom's advice. I know for a fact that serving others does help heal. I hope I can be an example to others, especially my kiddos, of how to grow my heart bigger. I will start by loving my family unconditionally (better). I will laugh more. I will enjoy the journey.

(ok, so I cannot figure out how to work this whole blog thing. I couldn't get the pictures I wanted to upload with this post.)

3 comments:

  1. reading this made my heart grow a bit bigger-for you. thank you very much for sharing this. it is true when you serve others, you can't help but feel more love for that person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful post. I love it! I had never heard that quote before. Now I am sure that I will never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I love that quote and am so glad you shared it with us. You are such an amazing person. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete