11/03/2009

"The Gift of an Ordinary Day"....

I recently saw the title of this post as the name of a new book that is out. I saw it in a real short review and it didn't give much detail about what the book is about. But I cannot get the title out of my head. It got me a thinkin'!!! How often do I thank my Heavenly Father for an "ordinary day"? NEVER. How many times do I think of my days that are ordinary as a gift? NEVER. How often am I frustrated about the everyday 'ordinary' stuff I have to do? ALWAYS!!! My eyes have been opened. I am going to make it a goal of mine to everyday be grateful for my ordinary life, my ordinary days.

Today is the perfect example. After school me and the kiddos worked on homework. TCIG made mac n'cheese for him and big sister, Pineapple Princess. Monkey boy warmed up Ravioli for him and the two little ones. (Yea, I am letting my secret out--we don't always have the most nutrious meals) We played a mean game of SKIPBO (love that game) and RUMMIKUB (love that game even more). Daddy is at school. So it was me and the 5 kiddos--just hangin' out. We were listening to music--I happen to be one of those 'cool' moms who actually like/love some of the same music my kids like so they are always sharing new songs with me. Then our favorite song came on.....In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins. We all love this totally awesome song. We know all the words by heart. If you haven't heard it or listened to it recently I dare you to go find it somewhere and listen to it. That song has the GREATEST drum solo. It doesn't even come up until almost the last part of the song but it is sooooo COOL. We all do 'air drum' and just let lose!! Even my JAG who is only 6 knows the song and does the air drum with us. As I sat there enjoying my ordinary day I couldn't help but think what an EXTRA-ordinary day it has been.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this post!

    I love the quiet peaceful "ordinary" days the best. We've been managing to have very nice evenings despite some after school activities, largely because I've been making dinner in the crock pot earlier in the day so I don't have to be cooking at dinner time and the kitchen is already cleaned (I have found the best soup recipes for the crock pot; they make a lot of soup, it's delicious, it's healthy, you can fill a 4 Qt. for under $10). So when we get back we can just eat and there is time to exercize, do homework, read scriptures. It's very peaceful. I love love love love it!!!! I think the best days are not the ones where the most happens; they are the ones where we can all get along peacefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a listen to Phil Vassar's song "Just Another Day in Paradise" and read Elder Holland's talk called The Abundant Life. Two of my personal favorite reminders that there is much to be grateful for in an ordinary day!

    ReplyDelete