4/01/2009

The Wheels on the Bus..........

One great thing about the island is that they offer "free" bus rides pretty much all over the island. You just wait at the bus stop, the bus comes every hour on the hour, and you get on. Last Thursday Allan and I took the two little ones for a ride into town. So this is the 3 of them waiting for the bus to come and it was raining....it seems to always be at least sprinkling and very windy where we live.
Here are Kawehi and JAG on the bus...they loved being on the "big" people bus...

Here are these two silly kids again...in town...again notice the umbrellas...
While we were on the bus I noticed an elderly man sitting in front of us. He was so cute. One of my favorite things to do is "People Watch" and especially elderly people. One of my favorite memories is from 20+ years ago. I was attending BYU and rode the bus everyday into Orem for my job. One day as I rode I noticed this little elderly couple sitting there across from me. I watched them. They were holding hands and just looked at each other so lovingly. I was entranced by them. Their eyes glistened as they stared at one another. At that very moment I decided that is what I wanted. I wanted to be able to look into the eyes of my eternal companion and get lost in the love we share. The man smiled at his wife. She caressed his hand that was cradled in hers. I watched. To this day I often replay that little scene like it is a video in my mind. I can remember their smiles, their eyes, the age spots on their cute little hands. I am not sure why that scene is still fresh in my mind after all these years. It was one of the most tender "real life" scenes I have ever witnessed. So, this little elderly man on the bus that day we rode was by himself and I got to wondering..has he lost his love, is he all alone, is he healthy, is he happy? We said goodbye to him when he got off the bus. I hope we made his day. I think some of our elderly people in our society get forgotten most days. I hope we can always extend a helping hand, open a door, carry groceries, smile, acknowledge their existence, make their day brighter. We learn the most from those who have gone on before us.



2 comments:

  1. That is so true. I love to listen to all of the stories that older people have to tell. Life stories are the best. When I worked at the bank, I helped lots of elderly people that came in on a regular basis. They would stand and chat with me, and I just loved to here about how things were way back when.

    I love your story about the couple from years ago. I want that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful post.

    At the end of the day, I think that's all I want too, and to be able to keep it for eternity.

    I also think the elderly are way overlooked, and ought to be more cared for.

    My kids miss your kids!

    ReplyDelete