5/31/2009

Life is for making memories....

I ate a Dove chocolate (my fave) mini-bar today. When I opened the wrapper the little message typed on in the inside said, "Life is for making memories". That got me thinking. I, actually, have been in a reflective mood of late. It seems since we moved to Hawaii I have been in this reflective mood. Probably because I am so homesick for the mainland and family and friends that I have been thinking of certain people and events over and over again. But this little morsel of truth has made me think all day about 'Memories'. I can't help but think of the line from one of my fave. songs by Barbara Streisand, Memory--memories light the corners of my mind. I feel that way exactly. Isn't it great that a song, or a smell, or a word or a smile can bring back so many memories. I am not just talking about the wonderful, special memories--but the ones that sometimes hurt. Our minds are amazing aren't they? How can all of these things we call memories stay in our minds? It boggles my mind of how our Heavenly Father created our brains to work. At a point in my life not too very long ago I was consumed with memories of a certain time of my life that was not a good time. I was so overwhelmed with re-living the memories that it prevented me from having fun and allowing happy memories into my memory bank. I was eventually able to put those "bad" memories on a shelf in the back of my mind so they aren't there all the time and occaisionally they come back, however through all that I have been through I can honestly appreciate the scripture 2 Nephi 2:11. You can't appreciate the good without some bad. I choose to remember the good. I love memories. I have a very special Aunt who I just adore. I always remind her that she is one of my top 10 memories. Let's just say it involves her, a lot of rain, no umbrella, a VERY busy street corner in San Jose and a diaper on her head. I laugh out loud every time I think of her and this memory. I have had some truly wonderful memories: in the temple being sealed to my hubby and children, 2 years ago; growing up with my hubby and getting my driver's license with him next to me; standing up as a Beehive Class president and making a decision the rest of the youth didn't like; having my oldest daughter hold my hair back while I am leaning over the toilet throwing up (pregnant) and her little 3 yr old hand patting my back saying, "It's ok, Mommy just get it all out"--and that same daughter now 14 lays next to me while I am taking nap and lovingly strokes my hair as I sleep and wake up to looking at her beautiful face; my little boy who is now 12, but when he was 4 told a beautiful lady at the Longs Drug store in Salinas that she was beautiful and she took me aside with tears in her eyes and said that was the nicest thing anyone said to her all day, and that same little boy and I had a discussion the other day about what makes a great husband; my 2nd son who at 3 and learned that his baby sister just passed away and saw me in such despair said "Mommy, I will be Superman and fly to heaven and bring her back to you" that same little boy who at 11 can melt my heart with his kind words and big hugs; my little Kawehi whose dimples can make me smile instantly and tells me all the time I am the best mommy she has ever had; my JAG who shakes his "groove thing" to make me laugh and then tells me I am his best friend; my sister who calls me out of the blue to ask me a question and then we start giggling--and I am at work and have to try to giggle quietly; my mom who makes every occaision one to remember; my brothers who make me laugh until I cry; a friend who taught me how to make french bread; a friend who showed up to surprise me after not seeing her for 10 years; a friend who refused to allow distance to ruin our friendship; friends who have made me laugh; who have allowed me into their world...so many memories that I cannot name them all. Life is for making memories. For memories and knowledge are the only things we can take with us to the other side. So I hope you all have a great time making MEMORIES.

4 comments:

  1. this friend you speak of...french bread?? i want that kind of friend.

    this was SO fun to read. i love you. i love you. i love you. and just so you know...i love you.

    p.s. just let her have fun!

    bwhahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing some of your memories with us. I sure miss you!!!!

    P.S. I thought of you when I bought a loaf of french bread at Walmart the other day. It was still warm! You were right, it is addictive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is beautiful. Thank you so much for writing it.

    You know, just this morning Austin asked, "When is JAG coming over again?" I had to remind him that you guys moved to Hawaii. He said, "Oh, so when will he get back." In his little mind JAG should be walking through our door any time now.

    Time can be kind. Time can be cruel.

    Memories are forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so nice to talk to you!! We miss you too but are so thankful for all the memories!! Loved this post, it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete