6/07/2009

Happiness is.........


On Saturday June 6, Kalani and I were able to spend the whole day together----just the two of us. I know you can't see me but I am writing this with a smile on my face!! It seems like we have not been able to have just us time in a REALLY long time. We have been so busy moving, packing, unpacking, finding jobs, going everywhere as an ENTIRE family (kids, in-laws etc.) Somewhere in all of this we have forgotten about 'US'. So, we planned all week--made lists of places we needed to go, things we needed to get etc. We went to Hilo, which is on the other side of the island. It takes about an hour to get there. We were gone from 8:00 a.m. to 8 p.m.!! It was a glorious day of togetherness. So, I wanted to savor every second we had and I discovered that the things that make me the happiest aren't things at all....it is time spent together!!! But having said that here is what happiness is... for me:


*talking in the car with NO interruptions ("Mom..so and so is bugging me", "Are we there yet?", "Dad....." you all know what I am talking about)


*walking in the rain, hand in hand, at the local farmer's market looking for yummy fresh fruits and veggies, with the love of your life


*the love of your life stopping at a Quik market and getting 'my drink'..now this may not mean too much to y'all, however it means the world to me. It was pouring rain & Kalani jumped out of the car & went to get the nectar of Gods for me. He does this all the time for me, and at times there is a 'drive' to find the right place. He fills the cup with ice just perfect and just the right amount of soda. Perfection!!!


*finding a .......SCRAPBOOK Store here on the island..Yeah!!! Ok so it is across the island but still......


*finding the mall and walking hand in hand..the mall is really small but it has "Cinnabon"


*finding and eating at TACO BELL!!! My favorite. Yeah. I am starting to feel a little normal again.


*having the means necessary to provide for our family (groceries, and other needs etc)


*looking deep into my sweetheart's eyes as we talked over our tacos. He has the most gorgeous brown eyes and long eyelashes. Makes me go weak in the knees everytime.


*laughing with him, talking with him, holding hands, having FUN no matter where we are (even at Home Depot in the toilet section)


*singing 80's songs in the car at the top of our lungs.


I could go on and on. It was a glorious day. Perfect in every way. I love the time we spend together. We don't get much 'alone' time so we savor every morsel we can. On the way home that night a song came on that I don't remember from growing up but I loved one particular line..."I am going to celebrate life..today. I am going to be grateful for what I have..today". Couldn't say it any better than that. Happiness is...time. Enjoy yours!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your happiness! It is wonderful to read. A lot of it I can relate to. I'm glad that you guys are feeling more normal and settled. And I hope that you can have more uninterrupted time together soon! It is the breath of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allan and Katie,
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful day of togetherness with us. It reminded me that my hubby and I haven't had that in a long time either and we aren't near as BUSY as you guys are. Hee Hee. Shame on us for not remembering date night and how important it is. Thanks again. Love you all, Cindy

    ReplyDelete