5/06/2009

Scout-O-Rama, Healthy Kids Fair,

Do you remember the Scout-O-Rama's? I grew up with three brothers and it seemed like they were always trying to sell tickets to the "Scout-O-Rama" at the local fair grounds. I remember going and spending a whole Saturday walking around looking at booths of Boy Scout stuff (that I really didn't care about) , looking at projects the boys did and me? not too impressed. I didn't care about wind tunnels, raising animals, marble collections, stamp collections, flags made by 8 yr old boys, etc. I was a girl. I dreaded those days of Scout-O-Rama. I was always ticked at my parents for "making me go". But we had to go and support my brothers...yadda yadda. Well, guess what...? I have become my parents!!! My oldest son had to sell tickets, we had to go and spend a Saturday (at least it wasn't all day) we had to look at booths, we had to participate. I found myself saying the EXACT same things to the rest of my kids that my parents said to me...."You will go and support your brother", "we are going as a family", "you'll enjoy it", "Be patient", "Just try to deal with it". All in all it was OK. TCIG earned his music merit badge and the two little ones loved the face painting. Then we walked across the street where a Healthy Kids Fair was being put on in conjunction with the Scout-O-Rama. They really enjoyed that. They had great booths to teach how to plant herbs, make and eat salads, McDonald's gave away choc. milk, apple dippers and carmel. And a whole lot more. It was fun for the kids. All in all the day was fun except for the big kids whining to go home...I'm hot, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty...Why do I torture myself and bring the kids along, knowing they will be all those things I just mentioned....WHY? Because my parents did it to me and dang it my kids will be blogging someday about their own kids doing this stuff and they will remember their mother made them go and support their brother/sister!!! Heehee. What goes around comes around.


TCIG learned to play the drum & had to perform a song on it to earn his Music Merit Badge.
Kawehi getting her face painted by what an 11 yr. old boy?

JAG making a leather necklace...


The kiddos at the Healthy Kids Fair. Learning about healthy snacks.


Good times. Good memories. Just like my parents said.

3 comments:

  1. I never went as a kid, but I know I'll get the chance later with 3 boys....looks like the little ones had fun at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective. It's all just part of the cycle of life, isn't it? I remember my Mom trying to get us all to go to each other's sporting events and saying, "we need to support each other" and we just didn't buy it. I was always so glad that she didn't make us go. You know, I'm still glad. :) Although, with the perspective I have now I think I would have gone to a few more on my own. You are a really good Mom!

    ReplyDelete