5/24/2009

Simple Fun, Funny Sayings, Decorating Graves



One of my greatest joys as a mother is to watch and listen to my children. I love to hear them laugh. I love to see them at play. My kids are great at finding fun no matter where they are or what limited "things" are around them. They don't need lots of toys or entertainment to keep them occupied. I love that they are resourceful. This last week we have been busy with lots of different things. Last weekend we moved from the house upstairs to the apartment downstairs. While we were busy doing this, JAG discovered the always, fun, putting a tissue on top of the fan (while it is on) and watching it fly upward. He was laughing so hard and loud I heard him in the next room and had to come in and see what he was doing. I laughed so hard, just listening to him. It also made me think of my beloved, Dad. 'Grandpa' used to do this exact same thing with his mouth. He would put a tissue over his mouth and make like he was sneezing and the tissue would go flying upward. The kids would laugh HYSTERICALLY. Many memories of those sweet times with Grandpa. (those are the pictures below). Yesterday we spent the day in Hilo (on the other side of the island) doing many things. I will post more about all of those activites later. But we had to go to a fabric store. G'ma and Auntie needed some Hawaiian material for costumes. They were having a great sale, so long story short----we were there for a LONG time. Actually, according to my children we were there "FOREVER". Anyway, Kawehi and JAG found fun playing in the car together. I am not sure what you call it, but you all know what I am talking about...see above picture. Ya know, when you slap your hands together and do different motions. When I was a kid we sang "Miss Merrie Mack, dressed in black...".. They were singing a newer song. But they cracked each other up. Kalani and I were laughing, too. Kids find the sweetest joy in every day life. They are a great example to me. Find joy in the little things.







On the way to Hilo we stopped at a really pretty water fall off the side of the road. As we were walking to the falls, JAG was right in front of me and said.."Mom, look at this cool pinecone". I walked up to him and looked down. This is a coconut. He is my Idaho boy!!!! So funny. We were in lots of totally gorgeous places yesterday and I would scoop him up in my arms and say "JAG isn't this beautiful?", He said, "Not as pretty as my old home, Star Idaho". What are ya going to do? We are in paradise, but we miss our Star, Idaho.


(ok, I don't know what happened to my picture of the coconut, it was here and then it disappeared, and then re-appeared way up above....SORRY. And it copied another picture of JAG. I am still not sure what I am doing with this blog thing)




We went to a couple of cemetaries while in Hilo to put flowers and decorate some graves of my mother-in-law's relatives. It was a neat thing for my kids to experience. We bought some gorgeous flowers at a local farmer's market and then decorated #10 cans with tea leaves and made a really pretty arrangement. This is Kawehi and JAG making one of the arrangements. It is so important for my kids to be a part of certain traditions. While we are here on the island we want to make the most of our experience here. What better way to do that, than to honor ancestors? I taught the Beehives today in my ward and the lesson was on journal writing and family history. There is a quote from Pres. Spencer W. Kimball, that I love: " I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, your children, our grandchildren, and others, on through the generations. Each of us is important to those who are near and dear to us and as our posterity read of our life's experiences, they too, will come to know and love us. And in that glorious day when our families are together in the eternities, we will already be acquainted!". Isn't that a great promise? My beehives were in awe of that last part of the quote. They never thought about that before. What a blessing it is to know that we have loved ones waiting at the veil for us.
Have a happy, safe Memorial Day. Remember those gone on before us. Keep them close to your heart. I will be thinking of my dad. Jensen. Uncle Norm. Grandpa and Grandma. Great Grandma Elsie. They all impacted my life. I have empty spaces in my heart--my mortal--heart without all of these loved ones. But I am comforted to know that my eternal heart is being built with them on the other side of the veil.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fan fun! And your kids are great.

    We live in Idaho (duh) and went to Florida once with Austin and now he calls trees pineapple trees (coconut trees). And there JAG is in Hawaii calling things pinecones! Life is so funny! I wish we could hike to waterfalls with you!

    The picture above is really touching. I think this experience is so great for your kids to connect with the Hawaii side of the family. It's such a wonderful opportunity. They really will remember for their entire lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have fun no matter where you're at, I love it!!! And I love that tradition on Memorial Day, we do the same. Max loves to go visit my Dad. It's the best place to tell him grandpa stories.

    ReplyDelete